By: Tamia Coleman
Ladies and gentlemen, lets add to your hot girl or hot boy summer by making an educational addition to this season!
Here are 5 books that you MUST add to your summer reading list.
1. More Than Enough by Elaine Welteroth:
It’s always good to take note when someone’s telling their story about their rise to fame. Elaine Welteroth, former editor-in-chief of Teen Vogue, gives us just that! This is an inspiring part memoir part manifesto by a woman who is now building her own table in this world.
2. What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Blacker by Damon Young: Stepping into our “woke” bag, author Damon Young, gives us a memoir focusing on what it’s like to grow up as a black man in America. In this comedic yet very honest book, the author touches on white supremacy and even masculinity. There’s even a discussion on why he believes his mother would still be alive if she was white. Without spoiling too much, this is a must read for all of you that agree with the author, Damon Young, when he says “existing while black is an extreme sport.”
3. How We Fight White Supremacy: A Field Guide to Black Resistance by Akiba Solomon & Kenrya Rankin:
The saying “fight fire with fire” is the perfect description for what goes down in this book. In this celebratory selection, these two authors took some time to accentuate black resistance. People from every sector of fame like journalists, comedians, and filmmakers share a little insight on how they handle white supremacy.
4. American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson:
Inspired by real-life events, this book follows a black female intelligence officer during the heart of the Cold War as she is set out to take on a mission of a lifetime, not because of her capabilities but because of her appearance. Not to mention, her mission is against almost everything she believes in, she still goes for it.
5. We Cast a Shadow by Maurice Carlos Ruffin: In this book, we see everything a parent would do to protect their child. A father takes us through a story of a life-changing decision to save his sons present and future by attempting to partake in a new experimental medical procedure that will assure you that your life will be saved by turning your skin color to white. However, the father will have to make some pretty impossible things happen for his son to live life as a white man.
So when you’re on a bus, or walking down the street, or enjoying a day in the park, lay off the social media for a second and indulge in these super dope reads.